A Star Among Us

Justus-Tyler Reynolds, Reporter

Leominster High School senior and former Saint John’s Pioneer, Dhillon Wilde lives a life unlike any of his peers. At only 17 years old he has begun to make a name for himself in the competitive world of ice hockey as a member of the  Islanders US Premier Hockey League Junior Hockey team. 

As a top 40 player in Massachusetts, who was also ranked the #1 player for the junior class for the MIAA last year, Dhillon took advantage of an opportunity that revealed itself to him with a chance to play for the Islanders junior hockey team.

Although he was being recruited by multiple teams, one being Lawrence Academy, Dhillon felt this team fit him best. Not only does he feel his skills would be best utilized there, but he also enjoys the environment and the connections with people he gets to experience.

“I get to play with players from all around the world,” Dhillon said, which was one of his favorite parts about making the team. 

“It’s pretty cool” he added when asked about what being on the team is like, “There’s a lot of new competition, older competition, and faster players that help me to improve my game.”

He stressed the fact that he must constantly be working hard to maintain his spot.

“No spot is permanent,” he said “I have to work hard so I don’t get cut.”

For this reason it is necessary that Dhillon must put in hours upon hours of hard work to enhance his skill set. He was even granted permission to leave school early every day to practice.

Dhillon began skating at age 3 and had been inspired to start playing hockey by his father, who himself played Division I college, Professional in Europe, and Semi-Professional hockey in the United States. He gives a lot, if not all of the credit for his success to his father and says that he enjoys how they can share such a strong love and passion for something.

Dhillon hopes to play Division I hockey like his father and to one day even go pro. He explained that if hockey doesn’t turn out to be the path his life continues to take, that he will most likely pursue a job related to business. 

For more information on the US Premier League and to follow Dhillion’s Journey, see their website at https://www.islandersusphl.com/page/show/589852-islanders

LHS Senior Dhillon Wilde