Peter Pan Flies High in Leominster

Peter+Pan+played+by+Emma+Waterhouse%2C+teaches+the+Darling+children+to+fly.++

Rebecca Hess

Peter Pan played by Emma Waterhouse, teaches the Darling children to fly.

Rebecca Hess, Reporter

In a packed audience on a cold Friday evening at LHS filled with young and old alike, the timeless Peter Pan flies into the stage, sprinkling pixie dust and inducing cheers from the children in the crowd.

It’s December 9, just after 7 p.m. in the Leominster Cousin’s Auditorium, and the cast and crew of this year’s much anticipated musical Peter Pan took flight for their first performance.

It’s no surprise that the Leominster Theatre Company pulled off another successful play, especially one as iconic as Peter Pan.

The show consisted of both comedy and drama, all laced with flawless vocals from Leominster’s students.

Peter Pan starred freshman Emma Waterhouse as the title character, with Julia MacFarlane as Wendy Darling and Brennan Aubuchon as Captain Hook.

The play begins with the Darling children in their nursery, getting ready for bed. Their mother is expressing shock about how she has seen the face of a little boy in her window. That face belongs to no other than Peter Pan who is looking for his shadow.

In his search, he soars through the Darling’s bedroom window sprinkling pixie dust, and in the process, awakens Wendy from her sleep. Only moments later, Peter asks them to come to Neverland, and they take flight to the place located on the second star to the right. In Neverland, the characters face many challenges, from Native Neverlandians threatening the Lost Boys, to the Pirates of Captain Hook threatening everyone.

Molly Melanson, an LHS Senior who played young Michael Darling, described this play as a once in a lifetime opportunity because she could fly.

Every song in Peter Pan was like an adventure in itself. It took you right through the mindset of the character singing it, all while being an enjoyable and impressing experience. The actors hit all of the notes perfectly, and at times, it didn’t seem like a high school performance, but an actual broadway musical.

The acting was also phenomenal, as the cast was able to switch from serious to comedic in a matter of seconds, enticing much laughter from the crowd. Expressions were humorous when needed, and emotional when required. They portrayed the balance in perfect harmony.

Hook’s sidekick Smee and Brianna Lincks as the much-feared ticking crocodile gained the most laughs as the comic relief. Together, the two seemed to make every scene they were in delightfully funny.

Though the acting, vocals, and costumes were beyond superb, the set deserves much praise. The effort that went into the set was evident, as a carved wood ship practically stole the spotlight during one of the final battles.

Overall, I would give Peter Pan the Musical a total of four out of five stars. It contained many elements of an enjoyable show, and I expected nothing less of the LHSTC!

Rebecca Hess