Star Wars: The Last Jedi is out of this World!

The Last Jedi

Rebecca Hess, Reporter

Friday, December 15, Star Wars: The Last Jedi premiered all over the world to much anticipation. As the eighth film in the Star Wars franchise, will it answer all the questions the last film left us with?
Directed by Rian Johnson, the movie stars a reprisal of Daisy Ridley as Rey, John Boyega as Finn, Adam Driver as Kylo Ren, along with Star Wars original cast Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker and Carrie Fisher in her last film role as General and Princess Leia Organa.
Carrier Fisher, who has played Princess Leia since the first Star Wars movie had her final moments as the iconic character in The Last Jedi. Fisher tragically passed away December 27, 2016, which left many fans wondering about the fate of Princess Leia. To the relief of many, she was a stand out of this film.
Though it was sad to see an end of an era for an iconic celebrity and her beloved character, fans will certainly appreciate all that Fisher brings to her role in the latest Star Wars franchise.
Fisher’s daughter, Billie Lourd, who played a small part in the previous film, was given a more prominent role in The Last Jedi. Maybe her character can help fill up the Carrie Fisher shaped hole Star Wars fans have in their hearts?
The title is a dead giveaway to what the movie is about: Luke, the last Jedi, and whether he shares his teachings regarding the Jedi way to Rey. Unlike Luke’s one-time eagerness to learn the ways of the Jedi in the original series, Luke has a different approach in this film, and he wants no more Jedi to exist.
Rey on the other hand is in desperate need of Luke’s teachings regarding the Jedi way and how to use the force. As seen in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Rey is strong in the force, much like her rival, Kylo Ren, also a student of Luke’s.
In my opinion, I believe for the new trilogy that Star Wars: The Force Awakens was an overall better film than The Last Jedi, but this film had its perks too. I think that it was a bit too comedic at times. Rather than including things important to the story, the puns became overbearing.
Like all Star Wars films, the special effects, and the costume designs were certainly a highlight. The ability to create hundreds of different types of aliens, both scary and cute, is one of the best parts of the films. In the casino scene, the talented costume designs and CGI effects are showcased.
Another great part of the film was the acting between Rey and Kylo Ren. The tensions between them significantly rose, and at times, the actions between the two was unpredictable. The trilogy will be safe in their hands.
Overall, I give this movie three out of five stars. It was a decent sequel, but inferior to the movie before it. However, it sets up an amazing amount of anticipation for the third and final movie of the newest Star Wars trilogy.

The Last Jedi