Bus Car Collide on Union Street

Walid Basalamah, Reporter

At approximately 2:20 pm on Wednesday November 14, at the corner of Union Street and Franklin Road, a  school bus carrying Leominster High School students collided with a sedan.

Two Devil’s Advocates reporters were on the scene, one on the bus, one following behind.

According Mayhanna Saldana, an LHS Junior who was on the bus at the time of the accident and also a reporter for the Devil’s Advocate, “We were all just sitting and talking as the bus was moving. It went silent, then someone started talking again, then something hit the bus, and everyone jerked forward and backwards. I was on the right side of the bus, so I didn’t fully feel what the left side would have felt.”

Immediately after the accident, the bus driver opened the window to see if the couple in the car were alright, then she checked on the students, explained Mayhanna.

It took the couple a while to get out of the car. and there was minor damage to the bus and major damage to the car.

LHS Principal Steven Dubzinski arrived on the scene about the same time as the police. He boarded the bus and asked how everyone was doing.

“It took the bus driver about 20 minutes to have the students fill out paperwork and then it took another 20 minutes for a new bus to show up,” Mayhanna explained.

“I normally get home at 2:30. I got home at 3:01,” said Mayhanna.

Dubzinski contacted parents  in a direct ed call home to inform them of the accident and to reassure them that no one was seriously injured.

“Thankfully no one was injured and all students, and both drivers are safe,” said Dubzinski. “This was a great example of all departments, Fire, Police, and School, as well as First Student Bus Company working together.”

Walid Basalamah
Car and Bus collide on the corner of Union Street and Franklin.