Cheer Coach is Coach of the Year

Kayla Morey, Reporter

Behind every amazing team comes an amazing coach. At this year’s  Midland Wachusett Competition, LHS’s  own Tracy Hartman was awarded the Coach of the Year Award.

“I was surprised and honored to learn that I was recognized for excellence in coaching as the coach of the year,” said Coach Hartman.

The cheer leading team concluded their season at the State Championship this past weekend, March 10, at Tantasqua High School. 

A personal goal for the cheer team at this competition was to improve in their 10th place finish from the previous year. They did just that, finishing in 6th place this past weekend.

For years the Leominster High School cheer team has been among the top teams in both the state and the nation.  While many may think that they are just on the sidelines of football and basketball games, throughout the school year they participate in a number of different performances and competitions.

This season the team competed in several invitational competitions, as well as Central Regionals, and this past weekend, the State Championship.

Along with Hartman earning Coach of the Year, the team also received a number of awards placing them in the top two at all of their competitions this season. One of these awards was winning the Midland Wachusett title this season.

In addition to winning the team awards, they also gained numerous amounts of individual awards.

At the Midland Wachusett competition, LHS  senior Laura Campos was awarded Academic All Star.

LHS sophomores Trish Scott, and Curnija Ludden were both awarded Athletic All Star at the same competition.

This season the team has worked very hard to fund raise money in hopes to be able to afford new uniforms for next season. The team has worn the same uniform for the past 12 seasons so they are ready for a fresh new look next season.

They received financial support from the District Attorney’s office as well as from the Blue Devils Football Club to support their new uniforms.

“We are excited to create and design a stand out look for next season’s cheer uniforms,” said coach Hartman.

The team will conclude there season with an end of the year banquet.

Courtesy of Tracy Hartman
The LHS 2018 2019 Cheer Squad