BLUE DEVIL CONFESSIONS: What It Is Like to Be a Senior Not Heading to College During College Application and Acceptance Season

Sage Roberge, Reporter

Devil’s Advocate reporter Sage Roberge explains what it is like to be a non traditional student in a traditional classroom at college acceptance time.

EDITOR’S NOTE: This story begins a new series by The Devil’s Advocate. Blue Devil Confessions will bring to you the unique and nontraditional perspectives of students by the students.

As a senior, college is a topic talked about at least once a class a day, as it should be, but as a student who does not plan on attending a 4-year college, I feel many different emotions at this time.

I often find myself feeling relieved that I don’t have to deal with the stress of it all. I don’t have to worry about college applications or college essays. I find myself being excited about my future and moving out and starting my dream career.

At the same time, FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) is a real thing and I sometimes catch myself feeling like I am behind in life and have no idea what I’m doing. I have had many peers, adults, and even teachers tell me how I am missing out on the “college experience” and that I need to go to college, which is more harmful than helpful during this time.

I plan to become an Esthetician, which is a trade and takes about a year or so to become certified in. I remind myself daily that for my career, going to college and most likely having student loans, is not necessary and my not going to college has nothing to do with my intelligence.

I feel as if the education system has groomed us into believing we have to go to college to be successful and that if we don’t, we aren’t smart enough, and this is an idea that needs to be tossed.

I am happy with my decision to not attend college and I am perfectly content getting my certification and heading straight into the work force. I still sometimes get those moments of FOMO, and I most likely will after high school, but knowing that I will be doing something I love and am passionate about keeps me from letting those feelings affect me.

If I can give any advice to anyone coming into high school, or those who don’t know what they want to do, I would say that college isn’t the only option, even though the school system has made us believe it is. There are so many options for post-secondary education, and not attending college does not mean you are any less than anyone else, or any less successful; just make sure you have a plan for life after high school.