LHS Student Athletes Look Forward to Spring Sports

Stella Fyfe, Reporter

As Winter Sports wrap up at Leominster High,  athletes start to begin to get pumped up for the upcoming spring season.

Sign-ups were already sent out and athletes have till March 11th to send them in, paperwork and physicals included.

Spring sports tryouts officially kick off on March 20th. These sports include girls and boys tennis ,boys and girls lacrosse, boys volleyball, baseball, softball, and outdoor track. 

To get an insider point of view on athletes excitement for the new season, we spoke to some of the student athletes.

LHS Senior Alexander ‘Alex’ Oquendo transferred from Fitchburg to Leominster High senior year to play baseball due to their very successful past few seasons. Alex said that the baseball team is preparing diligently with five to six practices a week.

Frequent practices are substantial to being successful when playing these tough Division 1 teams.

“We will face adversity with a lot of the good teams we play, but I think we will do very well,” said Alex.

He’s hoping for a season that ends up in the state finals yet again.

LHS Senior Anthony ‘Tony’ Salvatelli, another player on the team,  said that he is very confident in the team and thinks that all the captains practices are going to put them in a good place for the beginning of the season. He said “You should look out for us, we will be pretty good this year.” 

The Girls Lacrosse team also has been putting in hard work during their preseason. Athletes and Senior Captains Gabiella ‘Gabby’  Santucci and Kiley Cuddahy talked about their confidence in their team, saying that they are already looking very competitive.

Leominster Girls Lacrosse has been playing in a winter league, and have had games every Sunday night. They plan to start captains practices very soon. Kiley Cuddahy said “I think we have the strongest team we have had in a very long time, and were going to come out and do some good things”.

“We have a hard schedule this year, but that’s only going to make us stronger, added Gabby Santucci. 

They want to see the team as Central Mass champs and top four in States, which they believe is what the outcome will be. 

There is still time to sign up to be a part of any of these great teams. For any questions email Athletic Director Dave Palazzi at [email protected]