Play Ball — Baseball Season Preview

Jared Viola, Reporter

The Leominster Blue Devils Baseball Team have a tough schedule ahead of them starting off on their first game of the season on April 8, 2023 at Doyle Field against Central Catholic.

They have had four scrimmages, all at opposing teams’ fields.

Out of the four scrimmages played the Blue Devils won two of the games. The first being Acton Boxborough High School (10-0) and the second being BC High School (9-3).

The Devils also faced Groton Academy as their first scrimmage losing 9-8 just getting back into the swing of the game. They took another hard fought loss against number one ranked Franklin High School 8-2. 

The Blue Devils are coming off a great season last year making it to the elite eight, but lost to the division two champions Milton High School.

With only five seniors leaving from last year (Alex Watari, Brandon Aresenault, Nick Garcia, Connor Baeluac, Dominic Montoya), the Blue Devils have a strong core still with them.

Head Coach Richard Barnaby says “We look forward to another competitive baseball season.  We play the most challenging spring schedule in the school and we are hoping to stay competitive and put together another successful season.”

Coach Barnaby led his team to a state championship game in 2021 and to the elite eight in 2022. He has no less expectations with this following season.

The baseball field at Historic Doyle Field emerges from Winter with the start of the new season on Saturday. (Devils Advocate photo by Matt Dupuis)