Leominster Girls Tennis Qualifies for the State Tournament for the First Time in Years

Kyra Forsberg and Nicole Kelly

“Things are going well for the Blue Devils,” says Daryl “Roby” Robichaud, head coach of the Leominster High School Girls’ Tennis team.

The team qualified for the state tournament after beating powerhouse Wachusett Regional High School on Thursday May 18. 

This win was the team’s first win against Wachusett in the 19 years of Coach Robichaud coaching.

The Mountaineers of Wachusett Regional held a 10-6 record before the match against Leominster. 

The score of this match was 3-2 with all three singles players defeating their competitors. These singles players include Arielle Kouadio (senior), Kaitlyn Perrault (senior captain), and Caroline Bjørnvig (senior).

Overall, the girls’ tennis team is having a very successful season and currently have a 11-8 record.

Leominster’s Athletic Director Dave Palazzi said, “I have seen the girls tennis this year, we probably have the most competitive team on the court.¨

After Leominster’s victory vs Wachusett, they faced second seed, Shrewsbury High School on Tuesday, May 23rd. 

Before this match, junior doubles player Victoria Miele said the team is “super

The Varsity Girls Tennis Team

excited and couldn’t be happier to have made it this far.¨ 

Unfortunately Shrewsbury defeated Leominster with a score of 0-5. 

These hard working girls are not going to give up and are on the road to North Easton, MA at the high school Oliver Ames to play in the single elimination state tournament.

The line-up for this match is Arielle Kouadio at first singles, Kaitlin Perrault at second singles, and Caroline Bjornvig at third singles. Gina Iacoboni and Victoria Miele will play first doubles and Alaina Garcia and Adrianna Lattanzio at second doubles.

Come support the Blue Devils as they face Oliver Ames tonight!