The Student News Site of Leominster High School

The Devil's Advocate

The Devil's Advocate

The Devil's Advocate

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

A Look Into the Life of a Lunch Lady

Ava
Hannah Wells working in the kitchen.

For most students, the best part of the day is lunchtime, but no one ever puts any thought into the work that goes into feeding the students of Leominster High School. 

LHS Cafeteria Manager, Everlin Diaz answered some of our questions about this topic. 

She explained what a day in her life is like. 

She arrives at school around 5:30 AM to prepare breakfast and leaves around 2:30 for the day. 

Diaz explained that it takes 2 hours to prepare breakfast and 4-5 hours for lunch. 

She loves her job, and she’s been working as a lunch lady for 20 years. 

Her favorite part is cooking,

“My favorite food to make is American chop suey or chicken lo-mein,” Diaz said. 

The students’ favorite dish is either macaroni and cheese and chicken tenders, or pizza.

Occasionally conflicts occur with the students, Diaz said, “Sometimes they have special diets and they want food they can’t have, so I have to say sorry, but we have to follow the rules.” 

Diaz believes they give LHS students plenty of food and they have a wide variety of choices to fit every student’s desires. 

Diaz tries the food every day before serving it to students. 

“If I don’t like it, the students definitely won’t,” she said. 

In this case, she has the food remade. 

By the end of the day, when every student has eaten, the cafeteria staff enjoy the leftover food that they made.

Unfortunately the food that’s not consumed by the end of the day goes to waste. They have no other choice than to throw it away. 

From left: Mary Bishara , Hannah Wells, Denise Belanger , Everlin Diaz (Ava Troest)