The Student News Site of Leominster High School

The Devil's Advocate

The Devil's Advocate

The Devil's Advocate

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Valedictorian Headed to Harvard

Picture courtesy Marielle Howlett

Receiving the honor of being named valedictorian is a grand achievement that takes hard work and dedication. The valedictorian is recognized for academic excellence and maintaining high honors and a nearly perfect GPA.

At Leominster High School, senior Marielle Howlett is being recognized as the highest standing student in her graduating class which is no small feat.

Marielle has been working exceptionally hard for the entirety of her high school career to get to this point and she will be continuing her academic journey at Harvard University where she will be studying engineering and biology.

Marielle said, “being valedictorian is both something that is so exciting yet still incredibly difficult to process.” She added “I am incredibly thankful for the guidance department and my teachers for being able to work with my difficult schedule to allow me to take the courses that I wanted to take”.

Marielle is also a CTEi student, and taking part in Honors Electronics made it  difficult for her to create the rigorous schedule that she wanted to take due to the timing of many of the AP classes and her three shop periods.

For senior year Marielle said she “took on the challenge of taking four AP’s along with a three-hour honors electronics courses in CTEi. While it takes a large amount of time and responsibility to maintain the coursework for each class, I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Marielle’s senior course schedule consisted of Honors Electronics, AP Literature and Composition, AP Chemistry, AP Calculus AB, and AP American Government and Politics.

“I advise other students to take on this same challenge I took on and reach out of their typical course load. Pursue those classes that you’re interested in taking, even if it may be worrisome at first,” said Marielle.

Not only was Marielle handling heavy amounts of schoolwork, but she is also an active member of her community and is a captain of the varsity volleyball team.

“I am the vice president of the Class of 2024, the Vice President of SkillsUSA, a part of the Mayor’s Youth Council, a Peer Mediator, on the high school and AAU volleyball team, as well as being the manager for the boys volleyball team,” said Marielle.

Being such an active member of the school community, Marielle has shown her extensive leadership qualities throughout her four years at Leominster High School.

“Something that I will miss after leaving high school is the incredibly supportive community I found in Leominster. The people as a whole have provided me with so many resources to enable my success,” said Marielle. “I am indebted to Leominster!”