Boys Soccer Preview – Overcoming Adversity on Way to States

Eva Nguyen, Reporter

After playing a series of three games in the past week, the boys varsity soccer team went on to win the MIAA Central Mass District Finals.

In both games against Tantasqua Regional High School in the quarterfinals and Nashoba Regional High School in the semifinals, both goals were scored by Senior Captain Alex Miller. In the finals against Algonquin Regional High School, one goal was scored by Freshman Pablo Ruan and the second scored by Junior Michael Halstead.

Senior Julian Booth was unable to play in the MIAA Central Mass Districts due to injury. Alex was also unable to play in their last game against Algonquin due to injury as well.

“You can’t guarantee every player’s appearance,” said Junior Goalie Anthony Truong. 

LHS Junior Andy Truong, the left wingback said that the team must adapt to Alex’s and Julian’s absences. “That’s what we had to do all season. Players were missing in summer league, preseason, and regular season. Thankfully, Julian and Alex are coming back for states and we should have our full roster finally,” said Andy.  “Players had to fill in spots they have never played before like Agu [Senior Agustin Silva-Olivera] filling in for left-back.” 

Junior Captain Leo Giglio said, “We’re confident in our ability as a team to win the whole thing [states], but we’re not done yet.”

Tune in and support the boys varsity soccer team at 6 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 6, 2021 at Doyle Field in their first game of the States Championship against Peabody Veterans Memorial High School.

Divisional Round Scores

• Leominster vs Tantasqua: 2-1
  • Leominster vs Nashoba: 2-0
  • Leominster vs Algonquin: 2-1

The boys varsity soccer team celebrating at Doyle Field after winning the MIAA Central Mass District Finals. (Photo Courtesy Anthony Truong)