The Student News Site of Leominster High School

The Devil's Advocate

The Devil's Advocate

The Devil's Advocate

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

National Honors Society Hosts Annual Blood Drive

Saving Lives One Pint at a Time

Blood donors left the gym with a little less blood and a cool t-shirt. (Cameron Beaulac)

On Friday, October 27, the National Honors Society welcomed Massachusetts General Hospital and its amazing staff to Leominster High School for a blood drive. 

This annual event started at 9 AM and ran until 1 PM. All day, students and staff lined up eager to donate blood.

I spoke to students who were waiting in line for their turn to donate.

“I am nervous, but I know someone somewhere needs this blood and I love to help anywhere I can,” LHS Junior Arianna Hines said

The blood drive did have a few bumps during the day with some students showing up without first getting a permission slip. They were unable to donate. 

LHS Junior Jillian French was one of the students turned away. 

“I was very upset. I couldn’t donate and had no idea about a permission slip,” Jillian said. “Seeing everyone donate was an interesting experience though.”

Advisor to the NHS, English teacher Mary Fields said the next blood drive is going to be more organized with how information is sent out to students so everyone can donate if they want to. 

Arianna did get over her nerves. After donating she said “I barely even felt the needle and it went by so quickly. Everyone inside was so nice and I forgot I was donating until they had to take the needle out. The best part though was the free food after.”

They gave cookies, brownies, chips, and drinks to the people who donated.

What’s more, everyone who donated was given a t-shirt that said “Blood Donors Rock.”

If you missed out this time, the next blood drive is going to be held in the spring of 2024 and it’s a great way to help out those in need.