The Student News Site of Leominster High School

The Devil's Advocate

The Devil's Advocate

The Devil's Advocate

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

REVIEW: Swifties Rejoice — Taylor Swift’s ERA’s Tour Film Now Streaming

Streaming version includes 3 new songs not included in the film released to theaters.
Photo courtesy Taylor Swift Press Release

Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour is the highest grossing tour ever, reaching over $1 billion in revenue. During the six shows she performed in Los Angeles she filmed her performances for a movie. The Eras Movie consists of her performance of her 3 hour long set list. 

The movie goes in the exact order as the concert itself, with Taylor opening with “Miss Americana and The Heartbreak Prince ” entering her “Lover” Era. Many people believed this movie was going to contain the behind the scenes like her previous films but it does not. This film is simply her concert.

The movie is directed by Sam Wrench who had cameras everywhere in SoFi Stadium as well as multiple men following Swift around. Even with so many cameras, you never see any of them in the film. The shots were bright and strategic. There were high up shots of the crowd from drones but also up close shots of both fans and Taylor. Showing the close up shots made it more intimate. You could see their expressions and feel their reactions. 

The editing team was able to put different clips together from different nights and do it flawlessly. Watching the film, you would not even be able to tell that the clips were not all filmed the same day. They also edited her vocals extremely well. They were very raw and were very easy to hear. I like when you are able to hear the artist over the background track.

While on tour Taylor plays two surprise songs each evening. The two songs that were chosen to be in the film were an amazing fit. One being from her Debut album and the other from her most recent, Midnight’s. She showed how her songwriting ability has strengthened and gotten better over the last 17 years of her career. 

Swift’s movie has been in theaters since October, but was just recently released on streaming platforms like Prime Video. The movie is only for rent and costs $19.89. The price is obviously significant because 1989 is her birth year as well as the name of her 5th album, but I personally think that the movie is extremely overpriced as it is just a concert film. 

Let’s be honest, this movie was made specifically for Swifties. I think this movie is great…if you’re a swiftie. Someone who is not a big fan would maybe not enjoy this movie. It will feel repetitive and go on forever as the film is still 2 hours and 45 minutes long, even after making cuts. 

If you’re a Taylor Swift fan or even just a concert fan, this movie is for you. It’s great to sing along and dance to. You also get to hear raw live vocals and a performance from a sold-out world tour. This movie is definitely appealing to those fans who did not get tickets to the shows. 

Overall, I would give this movie a 4 out of 5 stars as the filming and production were amazing, but the appeal to different audiences was not. This movie is not for everyone and simply seems like it’s only for Swift’s fanbase.