The Student News Site of Leominster High School

The Devil's Advocate

The Devil's Advocate

The Devil's Advocate

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Leominster’s Unified Basketball Wraps Up Another Season With Win Over Fitchburg

Leominster High School’s Unified basketball team wrapped up the 2023 season on November 2, 2023, with a 69-68 win over Fitchburg.

This game was won with a lay-in in the final seconds by assistant coach and player Junior Brevette, putting the Blue Devils ahead by one.

The team played a season full of tough competition facing teams such as Nashoba, Lunenburg, and their rivals from Fitchburg. 

Leominster’s team is coached by first-time coach, Coach Kevin Hadmack, and three-year player, Junior Brevette.

“My favorite part of playing for this team is how we love playing with each other and it is like a family,” said Brevette.“We always support each other.”

This year’s roster consisted of close to twenty players and about six or seven mentors.

This is Hadmack’s first year of coaching this team, taking over for Mr. Smith who had coached Leominster in the past. 

“I reluctantly took it and ended up loving doing it!” Hadmack said. 

Despite the team’s record being 1-2, they still had an impressive season. 

They learned how to work together as a team and how to have fun even when facing challenges. 

“The most important thing is having fun, the second most important is working as a team, and the third most important is winning,” Hadmack said.

“It was an incredibly fun season this year,” the team’s mentor Victoria Miele said. “I am super proud of the sportsmanship that our team showed everyone.” 

“Playing with my friends is so great and we have fun,” said five-year player Jason Cotoni.

“My favorite part about playing with the Unified basketball team is how everyone gets involved and no one is left out,” team mentor Daniel Simons said. “Every player gets a chance to show off their skills.”

The 2023 basketball season is over following the win against Fitchburg, but they will be back again next year with a team of both new and returning athletes.

Leominster and Fitchburg shake hands after their last game on November 2, 2023.
(Kyra)