SPOTLIGHT ON A CLUB: Sewing Club

Isabella Chung, Reporter

Have you always wanted to learn how to sew but never had the opportunity to?

Well now’s your chance to by joining Sewing Club at LHS!

In Sewing Club you can learn how to sew by hand and by using a sewing machine to create things, such as pillowcases, stuffed animals, scrunchies, blankets, quilts, lanyards, etc. Basically anything you’ve ever dreamed of making you can create here in this club.

Sewing Club isn’t just for creating things, you can also take the opportunity to alter or fix things like clothes that are too big or have been ripped.

LHS Art Teacher Linnea Romhanyi has been the club advisor for the past 3 years. The club was founded the same year she first started teaching at LHS, which was back in 2016. Previously, she taught art at Frances Drake Elementary School. 

LHS Senior, Natasha Barreiro, a member of the Sewing Club for two years shared her experience with sewing club and what she learned from it. Barreiro said “I’ve made many friends and I learned how to sew better than I did before.”

LHS Senior, Marissa Siciliano who just joined this year added “Since I’ve never sewn before, it was fun to learn how to sew because it gave me a new hobby to pick up and I can fix my clothes.”

“Sewing club has been a great learning experience as well as a great time,” said the club’s President LHS Senior Celine Thao. “I truly enjoy seeing all the faces – especially Mrs. R’s. All the members are so funny and kind. Please join.”

Whether you have experience with sewing or  no experience at all, new members are always welcome to join at anytime.

Sewing Club meets every Tuesday in E306!

Isabella Chung
LHS Sophomore Jessica Patel showing off the overalls she made in sewing club.

Isabella Chung
LHS Senior & Club President, Celine Thao making a skirt.