The Student News Site of Leominster High School

The Devil's Advocate

The Devil's Advocate

The Devil's Advocate

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Football at Fenway

The Leominster Fitchburg Rivalry Goes Prime Time.

The Leominster Blue Devil football team is scheduled to play their Thanksgiving game at the historic Fenway Park on November 22 against longtime rivals, the Fitchburg Red Raiders. 

The two teams will go head to head under the bright lights of Fenway Park at 6:30 pm the night before Thanksgiving with games scheduled to begin 40 minutes after the conclusion of the game prior. 

The Blue Devils Varsity football team regular season record is set at 4-4 and the Red Raiders record is 0-8. 

The Blue Devils and Red Raiders have been going head to head since 1894, making it one of the oldest rivalries in the nation.

LHS Senior Guilherme “Memi” Elias spoke on how the game would affect the rivalry. “I think it enhances the rivalry, especially for like the seniors and how it’s a lot of people’s last games of their life or high school career.”

The game will be a different and exciting experience for both teams.

“I think the one thing that kind of throws me off, or that I’m not a big fan of, is that it’s not on Thanksgiving morning,” said  LHS Senior Captain Anthony “Tony” Kendall. 

Both teams will be traveling nearly an hour away for the historic game, which raised questions about transportation for students. 

A fan bus will be available and admission will be free for students, while general admission is twenty dollars per person.

“Parking should be the same prices as a Red Sox game–We are supposed to meet with them next week to solidify the parking around the stadium and everything,” said David Palazzi, Athletic Director said.

For those who can’t make it to the game, it should be livestreamed by both LTV and FATV.

Fenway Park has been hosting Thanksgiving football games for years and Athletic Director Palazzi said “They called us.”.

The Blue Devils are excited and prepared to play this life changing game.

When asked how they have been preparing, Tony said “Our schedule is tough. We play tough teams. That is going to prepare us for this game.”.

The team collectively said that they pray before every game as motivation. 

Both teams are going to go out on that field, have fun, and play their best game.

“We are going to go out there and play some Blue Devil football,” said LHS Senior Anthony Mastroberti.