Order in the Court: The Mock Trial and Debate Club is Here

Jasmine Cornish, Reporter

More than 60 students received and responded to an email inviting them into the newly founded club called the Mock Trial and Debate Club according to high school Social Studies and Law teacher René Lafayette. 

“To teach students about the judicial system and the law is among the higher level strategies that I learned about at the Supreme Court Summer Institute for teachers this past June,” wrote Lafayette in his announcement of the club’s founding. 

Lafayette is first LHS teacher to attend the prestigious professional development program sponsored by Street Law Inc. and the Supreme Court Historical Society.

“Mock trial simulates a trial with students filling the roles of prosecutors and defense counsel with witnesses supporting each side,” explained Lafayette. He added “Since 1985, thousands of high school students from public and private high schools throughout the Commonwealth have experienced what lawyers do and how the legal system works on a personal level.” 

The students have elected officers, but there  are still many opportunities for all members to participate in the upcoming trials and debates.

The Mock Trial Team and Debate Club meets Fridays after school in Lafayette’s classroom in C208 located in the media center.

LHS Mock Trial Team & Debate Club Advisor and Leaders (From Left): René Lafayette, faculty advisor/coach, Vice President Kaitlyn Perreault, President Nico Nevard, Treasurer Megan Dube, and Secretary Lillian Wyckoff. (Courtesy photo by Arielle Kouadio.)