The Student News Site of Leominster High School

The Devil's Advocate

The Devil's Advocate

The Devil's Advocate

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

What is Virtual High School?

Ongoing Series: Spotlight on an Elective

Virtual High School (VHS) is an alternate way that students can take classes at Leominster High School.

VHS is a nonprofit company that offers hundreds of courses virtually to students.

The courses offered can range from American Sign Language to Video Design.

One of Leominster High School’s VHS site coordinators, Larissa Murphy, teaches Human Geography this year and previously also taught AP Government and Politics.

Murphy mentioned, “It allows [students] to really hone in on the area of education they like.”

Students may take virtual classes if a class does not fit into their schedule or a class that they are interested in is not offered at the school. 

Murphy said, “There are literally hundreds of offerings, including AP, all science, math, English, everything. And there are some really cool ones, such as the Psychology of Crime course- students loved that one.”

The work in each course varies, but usually, work is assigned every Wednesday which will be due the following Tuesday, and possibly some due dates earlier in the week.

You don’t meet with your teacher regularly, although some teachers do offer extra help periods where you can meet with them. 

This schedule benefits students who might need some flexibility when they can complete their assignments.

LHS Senior Victoria Miele, who is a VHS student taking AP Environmental Science, says, “I appreciate that I have the ability to do my assignments most effectively and when they fit in my schedule.”

VHS has been an option for LHS students for more than 25 years.

Students at LHS who want to take VHS should go to Ms. Murphy’s room in B157 before the start of the next semester and she will be able to give them the steps to sign up.

LHS Senior Alaina Garcia takes Economics through VHS and she shares that she enjoys learning online. 

Garcia said, “I think it’s a good class to take on VHS because you gain information and my teacher does not make it stressful.”

When asked about her thoughts on VHS learning, Murphy said, “I love it. For some people, the VHS platform really works.” 

People who are not students at Leominster High School are also able to take VHS courses, but there is a fee for each course.

Leominster High School offers a variety of courses, but for courses that students are not able to take, they may opt for taking it online through Virtual High School.

VHS students Victoria Miele and Marielle Howlett, both seniors, working on their weekly assignments during seventh period in Murphy’s room.
(Kyra Forsberg)