The Student News Site of Leominster High School

The Devil's Advocate

The Devil's Advocate

The Devil's Advocate

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

A Cool Place to Be

Media Center Redesign Is A Hit

Is your classroom stifling and humid? Do you need a new place to work to stimulate your mind? Come to the media center.

Over the summer the media center underwent some drastic changes to make it a more comfortable working and learning environment.

Fully air conditioned, with new furniture and charging stations, the media center is a great place to buckle down and get some work done.

The week of September 4 through September 8, classes reached temperatures approaching 90 degrees and many teachers utilized the redone media center to bring their classes to work and stay cool.

The new center “exceeded all of our expectations,” said Librarian James Freel. He said they had a “great team” to work with.

Senior Marielle Howlett said, “The new types of seating arrangements provide flexible seating for all different learning types”.

In a school as large as Leominster High School, it is extremely important to cater to the large population of students and faculty who are in the building.

“The new renovations are super helpful for a diverse school of students with different needs and disabilities with a variety of options of seating that are very sensory friendly,” said senior Leah Levensailor. “As a person who struggles with traditional seating, I really appreciate the new renovations”.

On any given day teachers can use the website (linked below) to sign up to take their class up to work in the media center.

Freel said, “Three classes can fit comfortably” when they use the whiteboards to divide up the room.

Teachers can bring their classes into the conference room and any tables around the center.

Freel’s goal is for the media center to be filled every period.

Senior Kyra Forsberg said the renovations “provide a comfortable environment which makes it easy to get work done.”

Although Freel said the media center is “moving away from non-fiction and heavily relying on the internet for research,” Freel is available to teach any student about research techniques.

And they have plenty of new technology resources available to the students.

There are charging ports in nearly every table, and outlets at accessible locations as well as chromebook specific charging stations.

Even with all the new additions, there are still plenty of reading materials available for students to check out and take home with them.

If you are looking for a specific title, Freel is always open to ordering new titles to add to the collection.

If you have some free time during your day, be sure to go check out the updated media center and get some work done.

https://sites.google.com/leominsterschools.org/lhsmediacenter/

Freel will teach classes research techniques in the new look media center. Notice the bank of booths along the wall.
LHS Senior Nicholas Carboni sits in one of the new study cubicles in the media center. (Victoria Miele)
The new library has bookcases that snake through the seating.
Imagine sitting in one of these nooks reading a book.
LHS Senior Elaina Garcia enjoying the new surroundings. (V)
The chrome book charger stations where you can lock your chrome book safely away. (Victoria Miele)